Please click here for help!
image displayed if flash reader not installed

Roman period overview

Norton Village is bounded to the West by the site of the Roman Villa on Borough Hill which lay within the
ramparts of an Iron Age Fortress which covered the summit of the hill. The Roman Villa was excavated
in 1852 by local historian, Beriah Botfield who excavated and recorded the site. Among the items
discovered were mosaic floors. Botfield's notes, manuscripts and some of the antiquities found on
the site are now housed in the British Museum.

Bannaventa, a small fortified town to the East of the village, was a posting station for Roman travellers
and would have operated along the lines of coaching towns of a later period along Watling Street. The
town would have been a vital part of the road infrastructure of Roman Britain. The Fortified town would
provide a safe, warm resting place where provisions for the journey could be purchased and horses and
other livestock could be safely stabled overnight. The town would also provide some protection for the
wider population in the vicinity in times of danger. The name Bannaventa is thought to mean “The
Market on the spur of the Land”. For more information about Bannaventa Click here 

Click here to search and view the collection of Roman coins and artifacts found in Norton
Plans of Borough Hill Roman villa and Bannaventa
.